VR Slots are Meant to be the Next Best Thing – Or Are They?
Virtual Reality is going to revolutionize the way we game, place wagers, watch movies, and entertain ourselves. As a technology it is still in its infancy and is already miles ahead of the next best thing that we have.
Online casinos, too, have been experimenting with onboarding VR to a certain degree. As a no deposit slot games enthusiast you may be aware that Gonzo’s Quest, Starburst, Thunderstruck II, and Jack and the Beanstalk are some of the casino free spins slots that have forayed into the VR world. However, so far, the feedback has been a mixed bag and is still open to debate.
How is it that VR slots aren’t really attracting the kind of traffic that casino operators expected? Let us look at some of the pros and cons of VR slots.
The Pros of VR in Online Casinos
- The next best thing to actually visiting a tangible, land– based casino: Virtual reality has the power to ignite your senses and make your mind believe you are in a particular set and setting. In this case, you are transported to a casino where you can walk around, join tables and play all your favorite real money casino games. There is no denying that the experience is remarkably real and is a very good alternative to actually going to a physical casino yourself.
In this regard, the immersive experience and wow factor that VR offers when it comes to online casinos is simply superb! The 3D dimensional, 360 – degree visuals combined with good surround sound audio is an experience that is hard to put into words. You need to try it first – hand.
- VR casinos can be modeled on real casinos: Have you always dreamt of going to Las Vegas, particularly to The Strip which is shown off in some many Hollywood movies and TV shows? Well, online casinos powered by VR can be designed exactly like iconic real – life casinos such as The Bellagio. So, from the comfort of your own home, you can now see for yourself what it is like to go spin some reels at The Bellagio. This is one of the many potential applications of VR with regards to online casinos.
The Cons of VR in Online Casinos
- It is an expensive affair: One of the major setbacks with a VR slots and casinos is the fact that it is expensive for both the user and the service provider. Since VR is still a relatively new technology, the hardware and the software requirements are not light on the pocket. For users, a decent VR headset at this time can range anywhere between $450 – $750. For the online casino operators, the cost of developing such a casino, and hosting it is simply not a viable option at this time. We expect the costs to be driven down as the market gets more saturated. However, with very few companies controlling the market right now, it is the main reason online casino players aren’t considering VR casinos as anything more than a one–time experience for now.
- Potential Addictive Nature: Online casinos that offer real money gambling is already a formula ripe for addiction. Gambling can be habit forming and online gambling is no expectation. With casinos now accessible on smartphones, you can place a bet no matter where you are. Of course, online casinos and gambling commissions have tackled this issue with responsible gambling features, but it does not always suffice. Now add to the mix, the immersive, life-like experience that VR provides and this potential addiction could be exacerbated.
- Comfort: Once you invest in a VR headset, you will soon learn that they can get uncomfortable when worn for long hours. Another problem is that when you add visual effects which conflict the balance signals being sent to your inner brain from your ear, it can give you a bad case of nausea. We’ve all heard of car sickness and sea sickness, VR sickness is real and you are going to hear of it.
If it Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix it
We think that online casinos, and especially high-features slot games, are pretty amazing as they are. So if it works, why change it? Usually a void in a market is filled when the alternative is not providing a good enough solution. However, in this case, online slots are brilliant and not many players are looking for a change.
Published on: 2020/06/09